Tuesday 18 March 2014

Divine Desks

As you know I upcycled a writing bureau last year. Those of you that have been following me know in hindsight I wasn't 100% happy with it. I'm not sure what it was. Maybe the fact that I felt like I rushed it or the colour combinations, as you can tell I am not sure BUT l came across a photo on Pinterest that took my fancy and decided that I knew why I wasn't sold on the writing bureau. It wasn't actually the look I was after but I had a sentimental attachment to the idea of it. A writing bureau, done right, looks amazing and because what I had created felt wrong, it didn't sit right.

I plan to redo the writing bureau (I have already begun) but in the meantime I still wanted a desk but had to find something that worked for me, now.

Then I found it.




The desk was fabulous in its original form BUT I found the stain quite dark. When I got the desk back home it had been painted and waxed so I gave it a light sand and a much more vigorous sand on the top (that wood stain was tough to remove). I then used the same paint that I have been using through my furniture renovations (Taubmans Water Based Enamel Trim -Satin in Dulux's USA Antique White). I didn't have to do too much because the previous owner had done a really good job with the basics. 

Once that was done I prepped the desk top. I then applied a clear coat. I had snuck off to Ikea on my way back from collecting the desk and purchased a few items to decorate my desk. Overall I was happy with my purchase and minimal upcycle... BUT I wanted to point out how a little bit of sanding and painting can make a huge difference.







See?!

The pencil holder, candle, vase and artificial flowers were all from Ikea.

Now I just have to find the perfect chair to place with it.

Hope that it inspires you!

Keep smiling!

Lauren
xxx





No comments:

Post a Comment